Neuhausen Castle

Jakšićevo BB, Srpska Crnja

Neuhausen Castle was built during the Second World War (1941 – 1943) for a high-ranking officer of the German occupation army, intelligence officer and general Franz Neuhausen. Neuhausen Castle is the last castle built in Vojvodina, all the others were built in the period from the 18th century to the Second World War. It is one of the best-preserved buildings in Vojvodina, the interior is almost completely preserved and luxuriously furnished, but the exterior of the building itself is in good condition, as is the park that surrounds it.

It was built on the former estate of Count Čekonjić, as a summer house for rest and hunting where officer Neuhausen would stay with his family. It was built by an unknown Russian prisoner who was an architect, in an eclectic style with elements of classicism and baroque. After the war years, the castle changed its purpose and in 1981 a motel with a restaurant was opened in it.

The building has a rectangular base and is storeyed, consisting of a basement, ground floor, first floor and attic. A rustic plinth in imitation of stone visually separates the basement from the rest of the building. The roof is hipped and steep, covered with pepper tiles with skylights and tall chimneys.

It has a symmetrically composed facade in relation to the centrally placed axis, and on the south and north sides there are lavishly decorated porticoes with terraces. They are the ones that stand out the most on the building, they represent the dominant architectural accents that give it monumentality. On the north side, the main entrance is covered with a portico – a terrace, and sloping ramps and a wide staircase made of red marble lead to it. The portico is supported by four pairs of columns with Doric capitals and ten pilasters that lean against the facade, and above it there is a spacious terrace with a wrought iron fence on which there is a coat of arms with the initials of the first owner.

Between the pilasters there are three semicircular entrances and two spherical windows with decorative grilles.

The southern facade, i.e. the courtyard, has a double staircase around a semi-circular terrace and a portico, above which there is another spacious terrace. Decorative wrought iron fences have been placed on the terraces, and the one on the ground floor is particularly luxurious.

From the courtyard porch you enter the living room with a fireplace and a wooden coffered ceiling. To the left of it is the economic part – the kitchen, and to the right is another dining room. On the first floor, there is another salon that is connected to the hall with three openings, the two outermost ones are glazed with stained glass windows in the art deco style and depict two saints – St. Hubert, the patron saint of hunters holding a bishop’s baton in his hand, and St. Eligius, the patron saint of craftsmen. who holds the church in his hand.

Other attractions:

Scroll to Top